According to the National Safety Council, the leading cause of emergency room visits in the US is slip and fall accidents. Slip and fall accidents occur when an individual is visiting the property of someone else and incurs an injury due to the property owner’s negligence. Below are some of the most common questions regarding slip and fall accidents but it’s always best to speak to an accident attorney in Sacramento regarding your case specifically.
What Must Be Shown in Order to Build a Strong Case?
It’s important to show that the individual or group responsible for the property on which the incident occurred was negligent. These three things must be established to have a strong case:
- The condition of the property was dangerous.
- The individual or group responsible for the condition of the property was aware, or reasonably should have been aware, about the dangerous situation.
- The individual or group responsible for the property had a reasonable amount of time to resolve the problem.
How Much Can I Expect to Receive in a Settlement?
There is no one standard amount that individuals receive in a slip and fall case. It depends on the specific circumstances for each case.
How Long Do Slip and Fall Cases Take?
It is impossible to estimate how long it’ll take for a case to be resolved. Most slip and fall cases will almost definitely take 6 or more months. How long a case is expected to last depends on many factors, for example:
- The stance of the opposing party. Are they denying responsibility?
- The extent of the injuries. Were relevant medical bills kept? Was there a swift recovery time?
- The willingness of each party to settle. Are the opposing parties amicable, or is the dispute malicious? This is probably one of the more important aspects of determining how long a case will last. Court proceedings are extremely slow, often taking months between each step.
Should I Wait Until I Complete Care for My Injuries Before Filing a Claim?
Once you begin medical treatment, it’s a good idea to file your claim. Waiting any longer may compromise your case. There are time limits on some aspects of filing so it’s best to start as early as possible so you aren’t stressed for time.
Is There a Statute of Limitations?
In the case of personal claims, there is a statute of limitations of two years from the time the incident took place. For cases against any aspect of the government, this statute of limitations is lessened to just six months.
There is a pause of sorts on the statute of limitations under certain circumstances. These situations include the mental or physical incapacitation of the individual, or in cases where the injuries from the incident in question did not manifest until after the statute. It’s always best to contact an accident attorney who can evaluate your case specifically and provide the best course of actions.
What Situations May Constitute a Slip and Fall?
The following situations are common ways in which a slip and fall may occur:
- Slick or slippery floors. Spilled liquids on grocery store floors can be a serious danger to patrons, especially when left unmarked. This category also includes round objects or objects that roll because stepping on these also has a high risk of falling and incurring an injury.
- Loose objects. Rugs, mats, and other floor coverings that have a bump or turned corner are easy to slip upon and are not safe. Broken tiles may also create a tripping hazard.
- Weather-related issues. Icy or unshoveled ground area is not acceptable and may present a hazard to visitors to a property.
- Surface disrepair. Broken sidewalks, potholes, uneven driveways or decks, broken steps, gravel or loose debris, can all cause an individual to slip and fall.
- Poor lighting. Especially when combined with any other circumstance that increases the likelihood of a slip or trip, poor lighting can contribute to an individual’s inability to see where they are going or to take note of a dangerous situation.
What Injuries May Be Acquired in the Instance of a Slip and Fall Accident?
- Broken bones
- Bruises, cuts
- Muscle sprain or strain
- Spinal cord or head injuries leading to paralysis or even death
- Internal bleeding
There are many questions individuals may have when they are injured in a slip and fall accident. The best way to be sure you are informed and doing everything you can to have a strong case is to have knowledgeable and motivated injury attorneys on your side. Law cases are complicated and going through the paperwork is a headache. Be sure to get advice and guidance from an accident attorney in Sacramento you can trust.
Speak to an Accident Attorney in Sacramento for Specific Answers Regarding Your Injury Claim
The Weinberger Law Firm has years of experience handling slip and fall cases so we understand how difficult and stressful this time may be. You can trust that our accident attorney will provide the compassion and dedication you need to get the compensation you deserve.
Give us a call at (916) 915-0446 for a free consultation.