How To Find An Attorney For A Car Accident Injury
If you have been in a car accident, one of the most important things you can do is to find a personal injury lawyer like ours at The Weinberger Law Firm. The right personal injury lawyer will help you protect your legal rights. You may have the opportunity to pursue compensation in court to pay for your medical bills and other accident-related expenses.
By their nature, car accidents are sudden and unpredictable. It is a wise idea to research personal injury lawyers before you ever need one. With so many other priorities in life many people never think about a car accident until it happens. At that point, you need to choose the right lawyer as quickly as possible.
Getting in touch with a lawyer fast is crucial for several reasons:
- Evidence related to a car accident can be lost or damaged very quickly after the road is cleared
- Witnesses who may have information about your accident become harder to locate over time
- You may need to make a statement to the police, and should never do so without a lawyer
When Do You Need A Car Accident Injury Lawyer?
When you are in a car accident, the first thing you should do is seek medical attention. Go to a doctor right away, preferably your own primary care physician. You can do this immediately if the accident is minor. If police are summoned to the scene, wait until you have been cleared to leave.
Once your doctor appointment is scheduled, you should then contact a personal injury lawyer.
You should talk to a lawyer whether you were a driver or a passenger during the incident. Likewise, you should still see a lawyer even if you believe that you may have been partially at fault for the accident. In most states, you can “contribute” to an accident and still be eligible to recover damages.
It is critical to see a doctor as soon as possible to make sure you are not suffering from a severe concussion, internal bleeding, or any other condition that might worsen without immediate attention. This will also help you keep a medical record that your lawyer can use in court when the need arises. That’s especially true if you will have long-term medical expenses.
To win damages from a driver in court, you need to be able to show that you will incur costs resulting directly from the accident. Medical expenses are usually the biggest category of costs, followed by car repair. You might also have lost wages if you can’t return to work right away due to injury or pain if your condition is severe.
Whatever the case, you should never delay in contacting a personal injury lawyer after a car accident.
Don’t let more than 72 hours pass before you talk to a lawyer. If your accident took place anywhere in the greater Sacramento area, do your best to reach out to a Sacramento personal injury lawyer within 48 hours.
An experienced personal injury lawyer can consult with you over the phone. You do not need to go to an office if you cannot fit it into your schedule or do not wish to travel due to your injuries. Personal injury attorneys are here to help and will do everything possible to make the process easier for you.
Why Do You Need A Car Accident Injury Lawyer?
A personal injury lawyer can help you in many ways. His main role is to protect your legal rights.
Your injury lawyer can help you establish the facts of your case so you can show that the other party was responsible for the accident. Your legal team also ensures that all of your expenses are documented so you know precisely what amount you may be entitled to if you win a court judgment.
A personal injury lawyer can do many things. . For example, your legal team can perform an independent evaluation of the crash and try to find any witnesses. They can also put you in touch with medical experts and others to help you understand your condition.
Your injury lawyer is your biggest ally in dealing with the police. Average Americans are often surprised to learn that making a statement to the police without an attorney present cannot “help your case” in any way. Appearing helpful or cooperative is not enough to affect your case for the better.
On the contrary, statements made to police are considered hearsay and therefore can only be used against you. If police become involved, your personal injury lawyer takes on all communication duties pertaining to them. If you are in Sacramento, an experienced Sacramento personal injury lawyer is an indispensable ally, ensuring all conversations with law enforcement officials are completely transparent.
Do You Need A Car Accident Injury Lawyer Even If You Don’t Plan To Sue?
Absolutely! Even if you don’t plan to sue, you need a car accident injury lawyer.
You may decide you have no interest in pursuing a lawsuit. That is your decision. But that does not mean the other driver or other people involved in the accident will not sue. Having a lawyer means you can avoid being taken advantage of by other parties. It is a simple matter of advocating for yourself.
Being honest and telling your side of the story is not always enough to prevail in court. With assistance from a Sacramento personal injury lawyer, you can avoid a worst case scenario and get down to the facts.
Choosing The Right Car Accident Injury Lawyer
Look for these traits in a Sacramento personal injury lawyer:
- Years of experience: Experience is crucial in hiring a personal injury lawyer. A lawyer can go to the best schools, be accredited in a wide variety of professional associations, and even win industry awards. But experience is a central part of being able to make the right judgment calls about a case and find the way to a satisfactory resolution.
- Local expertise: It is usually best to choose a lawyer based within an hour of your location. A Sacramento personal injury lawyer, for example, should have detailed insight about local laws in Sacramento and how they affect you. Without that wisdom, crucial details might be overlooked. And that can make or break your case.
- Legal knowledge: Obviously, you want an informed and effective personal injury lawyer. This starts by taking a closer look at what that individual does. There are many fields of law and all of them are different. It is often best to look for a specialist with a narrow focus on cases like yours rather than someone who seems to do a little bit of everything.
- A record of success: Attorneys are not always at liberty to discuss the details of their cases. However, they should be able to offer you a summary of their results in situations similar to your own. A successful lawyer is also better able to clarify the terms under which they work, the price you can expect to pay, and how payment is dealt with.
To find out more or get started with a trusted Sacramento personal injury lawyer, contact us today.